Oklahoma is a great place to enjoy a motorcycle. But you need to ride legally and safely. Keep reading to learn what you should know about motorcycle insurance in order to protect yourself and other motorists on the road with you.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Oklahoma?
Just like driving a car or truck, you must have motorcycle insurance to register and operate a motorcycle in the state of Oklahoma. The minimum liability insurance you must carry is:
- $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person
- $50,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more persons
- $25,000 for damage or destruction of property
This protects you if you are at fault in an accident where someone else is hurt or their property, including their vehicle, is damaged.
How Can You Get Better Protection Than the Minimum Liability Coverage?
Liability insurance protects other people and keeps you from having to pay enormous damages out of your own pocket. But it doesn’t cover your injuries or damage to your bike if you’re at fault or if you’re hit by an uninsured driver. That’s why we suggest considering the following extra insurance:
- Collision insurance to cover repairs to your bike after a crash
- Comprehensive insurance in case of damage from or loss to severe weather, fire, theft, or vandalism
- Bodily injury coverage for you and your passengers
- Uninsured motorist coverage for other drivers or bikers without insurance
- Roadside assistance in case you become stranded
- Custom parts and equipment for expensive or vintage bikes
We also often encourage bikers to carry more than the minimum liability insurance. That’s because the minimum amounts wouldn’t likely cover medical bills or damage to a luxury vehicle these days.
How Can You Save on Motorcycle Insurance?
While motorcycle insurance is generally quite reasonable, you can save even more money if you follow these tips:
- Ride safely and maintain a good driving record.
- Enroll in a motorcycle safety course.
- Garage your bike in a safe, ideally indoor location.
- Bundle your motorcycle insurance with your other personal insurance.
Can You Get Motorcycle Insurance from an Independent Agency?
Yes, you can get a motorcycle insurance policy from an independent agent like J. K. Meadors & Co. In fact, you’ll have more options for a customized policy, and you’ll get more personalized service from local people than you would with a big name company.
To learn more about motorcycle insurance, call us at 405-377-0000 today. You can also start your policy online at any time using our website.