Just like single-family home and condo owners, renters need insurance for their belongings. Read on to learn how renters’ needs are unique and how you can protect yourself with renters insurance, which provides extra benefits you might not even know about.
Why Renters Need Insurance
Most people who own homes have home insurance to protect their property in case the worst happens. But what about renters? What would you do if a fire or storm damaged your belongings where you rent?
Renters insurance was designed to protect you in this exact instance. It’s similar to home insurance and gives you peace of mind that your personal items are protected from damage, disasters, theft, and vandalism.
What Renters Insurance Covers
Renters insurance is very similar to home insurance, but it doesn’t cover the structure you live in because your landlord is responsible for protecting that. Instead, renters insurance covers your personal belongings inside your rental home, whether that’s an apartment or a house. This includes:
- Decorative items
- Appliances that belong to you
- Kids stuff
Renters insurance also usually covers these things:
- Additional living expenses if your rental home is uninhabitable when you file a claim, to cover the cost of living elsewhere temporarily
- Liability in case someone is injured while visiting your home, like a friend or delivery person
- Liability protection away from home, such as while traveling
Other Protection for Renters
As with home insurance, it’s easy to add more protection to your renters insurance. Many renters feel better with additional coverage for:
- Valuables such as jewelry, artwork, antiques, furs, firearms, collectibles, and precious metals
- More liability protection via a personal umbrella policy
Independent Agents with a Large Selection of Renters Insurance Options
If you shop for renters insurance with a big name company, you’ll only have a few options to choose from. However, if you partner with J. K. Meadors & Co, our independent agents can give you a wider menu to work with. That’s because we partner with all the major carriers you’ve heard of plus a few you might not know about.
For personalized service with your renters insurance policy and help determining how much coverage you need, call us at 405-377-0000 today, or start your policy online right now.